Testing WD hard drives (Data Lifeguard Diagnostics)
User Manual download
The Windows version of the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics utility can
perform drive identification, diagnostics, and repairs on a Western
Digital FireWire, EIDE, Serial ATA, Solid State or USB drive. In
addition, it can provide you with the drive's serial and model numbers.
To use the utility:
- Download Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics. You may need to extract this using an extraction utiltiy such as WinZip.
- Run the program, windlg.exe. If you're running this under Windows 7 or Vista, you will need to Right-click on the windlg.exe file and select Run As Administrator.
- Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
- On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top
window, you will see the drives in your system that are available for
testing. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive
will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for
the selected drive will be displayed.
- Double-click the drive to be tested in the top window.
- The DLGDIAG - Select an Option window appears.
- You will see the following options:
QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.
EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors.
Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the
WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost.
VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.
- Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.
- When the test completes, you will be notified. Click the Close button.
- A web page will display the test results for the drive.
If any of the tests fail, including the Quick Test, you will need to replace the drive being tested. Error codes are available in the User Manual or online: http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp